Welcome to Changing Futures
How you can help
Changing Futures is a UK based charity that aims to provide financial support to schools and community projects in Swaziland in order to improve the futures of children disadvantaged by poverty and/or disease.
The charity was founded by Steve and Caroline Smith in 2008 after a visit to eSwatini (Swaziland), a small country in Southern Africa. eSwatini has the highest rate of HIV in the world and consequently has many orphans and vulnerable children. It is not uncommon for a child to be the head of a household, taking care of younger siblings when their parents have died.
Changing Futures is a non-religious organisation which works with various organisations and individuals in eSwatini. The charity also collaborates with Swaziland Schools Projects, another UK based charity. Steve and some of the trustees visit eSwatini regularly to ensure that projects are progressing well and to identify new needs. There are no administration costs as the charity is run by its trustees on a voluntary basis.
This month Changing Futures has it's 10th birthday. Over the last 10 years we have raised over £200,000. This has been possible because of the support of a fantastic team of local trustees and loyal volunteers. In eSwatini we have a team of local volunteers who oversee our projects and ensure that every penny raised goes directly to support the children of eSwatini. To give you an idea of some of the projects we have been involved in here are some of our successes:
There have been many other large and small projects and we have an ongoing programme that includes building more classrooms, providing play equipment for a pre-school and providing more school uniforms and shoes for orphaned children.
To Donate click here
Most children in Swaziland really value their education and often walk a long way to get to school. There is now government funding for school fees for children up to and including Year 6, but many schools still struggle to pay all the bills with the funding provided.
To attend school their pupils must wear a school uniform. This is unaffordable for many children so this is another cost that we cover in some schools.
For a full list of our current projects and things we do see the Projects page.
1. Make a monthly contribution - Just £5/month will make a difference to the lives of some very poor children in Swaziland.
2. If you are taking part in a sporting event or challenge why not see if your friends and family will sponsor you for Changing Futures? We can help you set up a dedicated sponsorship page so that people can donate.
3. Collect your small change – stop those 1ps, 2ps and 5ps cluttering up your purse or filling your pockets and put them in a jar. When it is full give it to us or take the money to the bank and donate it to us.
4. Promote what we are doing – tell your friends and family about Changing Futures and send them a copy of our newsletter. The more people that know the more people may be able to help.
5. Adopt us as your Charity of the Year - if you are working, could your department or Company can adopt us as their Charity of the Year for 2014 and raise money through some social events?
6. We also collect foreign currency as we are able to turn that into £ Sterling. So, if you have been on holiday or a business trip and have any left-over coins or notes that you don’t need please donate it to us.
See our Fundraising & Events page for details on how you can get involved with fundraising events
Site last updated on 13th January 2019